Greek Inspired Beef Cheeks
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan-forced).
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat half the olive oil in a large casserole pot over medium–high heat.
- Add the beef in batches and brown on all sides for about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the dish and sauté the onion and carrots for 2–3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bay leaves and tomato paste and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Deglaze the pan with beef stock, and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Return the beef and resting juices to the dish and add the crushed tomatoes, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1.25 litres of water.
- Season with an extra pinch of salt, then place in the oven and cook for 2 hours.
- Remove the dish from the oven and stir in the pasta. Replace lid back and cook for 15 minutes or until the pasta is al dente.
- Finish with Greek feta and additional black pepper.
- Serve with fresh side salad with lemon juice and pepper.
- Switch the red lentil fusilli for regular pasta if desired.
- This recipe would also work well with oyster blade.