- Serves 4
Black bean braised beef with Asian mushrooms
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and place a casserole over a high heat. Coat the beef with some vegetable oil and cook 5 minutes or until coloured. You may need to do this in 2 batches. While the beef is cooking, rinse and squeeze dry the soaked black beans and mash roughly with a fork.
- Add the mushrooms and ginger to the beef and cook for 30 seconds, scraping up any sticky bits with a wooden spoon. Add the black beans, stock, rice wine, sugar and ½ cup water and bring up to the boil. Place the lid on the pan and bake for 2 hours, or until the meat is very tender.
- Serve with rice, sliced spring onions, coriander and Asian greens.
- You can cook this dish a day ahead and gently reheat to serve.
- Try replacing the Asian greens with a crunchy raw salad, such as an Asian coleslaw.
*Salted black beans are available from Asian grocery stores.
**Shitake mushrooms work best.