Hoisin and rice wine braised beef ribs
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place a large, heavy based casserole over a moderately high heat. Rub the ribs with vegetable oil and sear for 8 minutes or until well coloured on all sides.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add the hoisin sauce, rice wine and stock and bring up to the boil. Cover with a lid and place in the oven for 2½ hours or until the meat is very tender.
- When cool enough to handle, shred the meat off the bone. Strain the sauce and skim off any fat. Mix the shredded meat with a bit of the sauce to keep it juicy.
- Serve with sliced spring onions, cucumber batons, warmed Chinese pancakes and a dollop of hoisin sauce.
- The ribs can be prepared a day or two early and gently warmed through to serve.
- The best way to remove all fat from the sauce is to chill it and allow the fat to solidify before simply spooning it off.
*Chinese pancakes can be found in the frozen section of Asian grocery shops. Warm through by following the instructions on the pack.