- Serves 6
Beef, zucchini and quinoa meatloaf
- Grease and line the base and long sides of a 10 x 21cm loaf tin (base measurement) with a sheet of baking paper. Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place quinoa in a small saucepan with 1 cup water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cook for 10-12 minutes until water has evaporated. Allow to cool.
- Grate zucchini and sprinkle lightly with salt. Place in a sieve set over a bowl and leave to drain for 10 minutes. Squeeze zucchini firmly to extract liquid.
- Place beef mince, zucchini, carrot, cooked quinoa, paprika, garlic, egg and half the cheese in a large mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix well until combined.
- Place mixture in loaf tin and smooth the top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 1 hour or until juices run clear or a thermometer reads 71C. Allow to cool for 20 minutes, pour off juices and place meatloaf on a cooling rack set over a tray to cool. Slice and serve.
- Greek meatloaf- swap the smoky cheddar and paprika for feta or haloumi cheese and thyme, dill or oregano. Serve with a Greek salad of olives, tomato, capsicum, cucumber and feta.
- Use different vegetables, such as leftover diced roast vegetables, mashed pumpkin or sweet potato.
- Try adding different flavourings such as a little soy and sesame oil with some grated ginger for a Chinese feel.
- Mix the mince with the other ingredients really well to make sure the ingredients are evenly distributed. The mixing also helps the meatloaf to hold together after it's cooked.
- Allow the meatloaf to cool for a little longer to help it keep it's shape when you slice it. It can be a little fragile when it's straight out of the oven.
- You can make a gravy out of the meat juices from the meatloaf. Simply add to a medium frying pan with a tablespoon of flour and cook slowly for about 5 minutes until thickened and the flour is cooked. Add a little red wine vinegar or lemon juice to balance the flavour and season to taste.
- Try cooked rice instead of quinoa.
- If preparing the day before, you can cool the meatloaf in the tin after draining the juices. Cover and cool in the refrigerator overnight.