Beef and ale stew by Jeremy strode
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large, heavy based saucepan. Season the beef with salt and pepper and brown on all sides in batches. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery to the pan and fry until soft. Add the ale and reduce by three quarters. Stir flour into the ale.
- Return the beef to the pan and add the remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer until the beef is tender and sauce has thickened (around 90 minutes).
- Serve with mashed potatoes or grilled sourdough.
- Any leftovers can be used in a pie the next day to enjoy all week long!