- Serves 60
Recipe makes 60 dumplings.
- In a lightly oiled non-stick frying pan, cook carrot over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Set aside in a medium bowl. In same pan cook mushrooms for 1-2 minutes and add to bowl with carrot. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile in same oiled pan cook egg for 1-2 minutes each side to make pancake shape. Cool slightly and cut egg pancake into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine beef mince, cooked carrot, mushroom and egg, onion, ginger, salt, soy and oyster sauces and sesame oil.
- In a separate large bowl, mix flour with enough water to make a dough (slowly add water to avoid it being too wet). Divide dough into 4. Lightly flour a clean benchtop or chopping board and shape dough pieces into long snake shapes. Cut each into 15 little dough pieces to make 60 and roll dough into round wrappers using a rolling pin (or use pre-made wonton wrappers).
- Spoon a tablespoon of beef mixture into each wrapper. Fold, press using fingers to seal and crimp edges.
- To fry, heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large frying pan (with a lid) over medium heat. Add ¼ of the dumplings and cook for 1-2 minutes until bottoms are crisp and golden. Add enough water to cover half the dumplings and cover with lid. Cook until water has evaporated and dumplings are tender. Repeat process with remaining oil and dumplings.
- Serve dumplings with vinegar, extra soy sauce, sesame oil, extra green onions and fresh chilli, if desired.
- To boil dumplings, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Cook dumplings in batches of 15, stirring to avoid sticking, for 7-8 minutes or until dumplings float to the top. Drain well.