- Serves 4
To serveSend me these ingredients
Cowboy steaks with gravy and mash
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Combine flour, onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper in one shallow bowl. Combine milk, egg, and hot sauce in another shallow bowl. Set aside.
- Using the tenderizing part of a the meat mallet, beat the steaks out to 1 cm thickness. Dip each steak in the egg mixture first, then the flour mixture. Place onto a plate, and into the refrigerator until ready to cook.
- Bring a large, heavy based frying pan to a medium heat, and add oil. Cook steaks in batches if you need to, 1 minute on each side until golden and crisping up. Place pan with steaks or onto a baking paper lined baking tray in oven for 5 minutes to finish.
- Meanwhile, bring pan to a medium heat and add 1 tsp oil in the same pan if it needs more than what is there. Whisk flour in and cook for 3 minutes or it becomes a golden color. Whisk in milk and allow to thicken up while stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve steaks topped with gravy, on mash with steamed green vegetables on the side and lemon wedges to serve.
- This makes a delicious sandwich for a steak sandwich option the next day for lunch with lettuce leaves, and thickly sliced tomato.
- Try rump steak, blade steaks or veal schnitzel instead of rump cap