Korean beef lettuce cups with kimchi
- Mix the beef with the ginger, garlic, spring onion, soy sauce and sugar. Form into 8 long patties and brush with vegetable oil.
- Preheat a ridged chargrill or barbeque to moderately high and cook the patties for 3 minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes, covering loosely with foil.
- Place the patties in the lettuce cups and top with the kimchi to taste. Serve with tomato slices and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
- For an Authentic Korean take, try using blanched and chilled cabbage leaves instead of lettuce cups.
- Uncooked beef patties can be prepared up to a few hours ahead and refrigerated until needed.
*Kimchi is a Korean dish of spicy fermented vegetables, most commonly cabbage. It is available from Asian grocery stores.