- Preheat oven to 180°C. Pat beef pieces dry with paper towel.
- Place a large oven-proof pot over high heat and drizzle in half of the olive oil. Add beef and sear for 3–4 mins, stirring twice to evenly brown meat.
- Reduce heat to medium-high. Add remaining oil, onion, garlic, and carrot to the pot and stir to combine. Cook a further 3 mins until onion begins to soften.
- Stir through tomato paste and red wine, and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato passata, chopped tomatoes, water, bay leaves and herbs and mix well. Bring to the boil.
- Cover pan with a lid or foil, and place in the oven for 2 hrs, or until meat is very tender.
- Remove pot from oven and place on heat-proof surface. Remove bay leaves and discard. Use a potato masher or two forks to shred meat.
- For a thicker sauce, return pot to oven, uncovered, and cook a further 30 minutes, until sauce has desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve ragout with pasta, parmesan cheese, and a fresh green salad.