- Serves 4
Steak sandwich salad
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°fan-forced). Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Spread bread onto tray in a single layer, spray with oil, season and toss to coat. Bake for 10-12 minutes until crisp and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a char-grill pan or barbecue over medium-high heat. Spray steaks lightly with oil, season and cook for 5-5½ minutes each side or until cooked to your liking. Set aside on a plate loosely covered with foil to rest for 5 minutes. In the same pan cook onions and tomatoes over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes or until charred. Thinly slice steak.
- Combine mustard and sour cream in a small bowl. Season and add a little water to thin down, if necessary. Divide lettuce, pickles, bread, onions and tomatoes between plates. Top with steak. Drizzle with dressing. Season and sprinkle with parmesan, to serve.
- Swap flat-iron steak for oyster blade steak.
- Swap sour cream for natural yoghurt for a healthier dressing.
- Any type of bread works well in this recipe – light rye, French baguette, wholegrain.
- Use sliced bread and butter pickles instead of dill pickles, if desired.