- Serves 4
Chinese Beef Fried Rice
- Combine sliced steak and 1 tbsp of the soy sauce in a bowl. In a jug, whisk together sesame oil, chilli flakes, pepper, and remaining 1 tbsp soy sauce – set aside.
- Preheat a wok or heavy-based pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle in 1 tbsp oil, and add carrots and capsicum, cook 2 - 3 mins. Add broccoli and baby corn and cook a further 3 - 5 mins until veggies are tender-crisp and broccoli is bright green. Transfer veg to a bowl, wipe pan, and return to heat.
- Add 2 tsp oil to the pan. When oil is smoking, add beef strips in a single layer and leave for 30 sec until golden on one side. Flip beef and move to the side of the pan.
- Add further 1 tbsp oil to the empty side of the pan. Add rice and spring onions, stir once, and spread into an even layer. Let cook 30 sec, then stir for a minute or two until rice is heated through.
- Add peas to the pan, along with the cooked veggies and any liquid, and stir to combine with beef and rice. Pour over the soy / sesame sauce and cook for 1 min.
- Push fried rice to the sides of the pan and drizzle remaining 2 tsp oil into the centre. Add beaten egg and allow to cook for 30 sec. Scramble, moving cooked egg to the centre and uncooked egg to the edge, breaking into small pieces as you stir. When egg is nearly set, toss to incorporate into the fried rice.
- Season to taste, if necessary, and transfer to a serving platter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve hot.
- Have all ingredients ready to go before you start cooking – fried rice is a quick dish!
- Leftover chilled rice is perfect for this recipe, however you can make fresh steamed rice, spread it on a plate or tray, and pop in the fridge to cool quickly.
- Fresh vegetables can be replaced with 800 g frozen stir fry veg. Skip Step 2, add frozen veg with peas in Step 4, and cook until warmed through.